OutsaPop Trashion t-shirt hobo bag tutorial

OutsaPop Trashion large t-shirt hobo bag 2

Here it is.. Finally. My OutsaPop Trashion t-shirt hobo bag tutorial in English. Finnish tutorial with pictures at MissMix website. If you don´t have a sewing machine, this bag can also be sewn by hand. I sewd it all by hand as my sewing machine was broken at the time I made it. It took a couple of hours though... Sewing machine makes it so much faster.

*EDIT* The lovely people of Amelia´s Magazine also featured my tutorial in their blog! Super :D

You´ll need:
2 same colored t-shirts (don´t have to be the same size)
scissors
sewing machine
needle and thread

STEP 1:
Cut the hem out from both t-shirts, about 1/4 inches from stitchings. Don´t cut the hem strips open, but keep them in one circular piece. Save these strips for later.
STEP 01

STEP 2.
Cut sleeves and collar out. Save them.
STEP 02

STEP 3.
Cut the sideseams out.
STEP 03

STEP 4.
If the other t-shirt has a longer hem than the other, fold the longer bodice pieces in half and cut the hem curved like in the picture.
STEP 04

STEP 5.
A) Pin the t-shirt pieces together (reverse sides out) from the sideseams. The shorter pieces will be sides and the pieces with curved hem will be bag front and bag back. B) Draw a slightly curved line from sideseam to shoulder. Sew all four seams.
STEP 05

STEP 6.
Pin the curvy hem pieces together (reverse sides out) and sew.
STEP 06

STEP 7.
A) Fold the sidepieces over (reverse sides out) the bag bottom and sew. B) Turn the bag right sides out.
STEP 07a
STEP 07b

STEP 8.
Collar pieces will be our bag handles. If you want the handles to be shor (like in my bag) take only one collar and cut it into two equal length pieces. If you want the handles to be longer, cut both collars open once to make each one handle.
STEP 08

STEP 9.
Fold all t-shirt shoulders (8 fold layers each) to match the width of the collar pieces / handles. It does not have to be exact as the handle seams will be covered.
STEP 09

STEP 10.
Place the collar/handle in between the folded shoulder layers and pin. Try the bag to see if the handles are placed correctly. Sew when ready.
STEP 10a
STEP 10b

STEP 11.
Take the all hem strips, cut them into four pieces and tie each around one handle seam. Sew the strip ends by hand so they won´t unravel.
STEP 11.

STEP 12.
If you want inside pockets for your bag, Make them by sewing the sleeve openings closed and then attaching them inside the bag by sewing or with safetypins. My bag has no inside pockets but I kinda hoped I had made them as the bag is big and small things get lost in it easily.
STEP 12

YOU`RE ALL DONE!

OutsaPop Trashion large t-shirt hobo bag 5

Photos by Mika Pollari, drawings by me.

Outi Les Pyy

Phasellus facilisis convallis metus, ut imperdiet augue auctor nec. Duis at velit id augue lobortis porta. Sed varius, enim accumsan aliquam tincidunt, tortor urna vulputate quam, eget finibus urna est in augue.

5 comments:

  1. I love this sooooo much! I can't wait to find some rad t-shirts to try this! Such a great project, thanks so much for posting this in English ;D

    <3<3<3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg this is so cool! I can't wait to try by myself! It's awesome, thanks for posting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this!
    I'm making a variation of this - cutting up an old shirt and using it as a pattern on fabrics I like. Ill tell you how it works when I'm done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made this bag a while ago. I uploaded some photos: http://bonniepandorra.blogspot.com/2011/11/buchmesse-zum-rumtragen.html (in German only, sorry!)
    Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete