DIY Jose Castro leather scale dress



You remember the Jose Castro Fall 2009 leather "fish scale dress" I wrote about last week? I have been cutting up a secondhand leather jacket during the last few evenings and begun to glue the scale pieces on today. I was worried that the textile (leather glue / maitoliima) glue would not be enough and that I would have to sew all the scales by hand afterwards. Now it looks like after a few hours drying that the sewing will not be necessary and that the glue will hold all the pieces in place quite firmly. I had totally forgotten how great stuff that leather glue is! Well here´s what I´ve come up with so far. I have not decided yet will the entire dress be covered in scales. We´ll see. My aim is to have this dress finished by the end of next week so I can take it with me to the recycle fair Kierrätystehdas in Helsinki. I´m not going to sell it, but it will look great in out booth! And of course I will make a tutorial from this project when it´s done.

Outi Les Pyy

Phasellus facilisis convallis metus, ut imperdiet augue auctor nec. Duis at velit id augue lobortis porta. Sed varius, enim accumsan aliquam tincidunt, tortor urna vulputate quam, eget finibus urna est in augue.

14 comments:

  1. The project looks great so far! Perhaps I have to try this on a collar of a shirt or a dress. I don't know if I'd have the time and energy to finish a full dress, so props to you for trying!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's brilliant! I've got loads of old leather jackets/coats that I've been hoarding from car boot sales & markets over the years & you've just given my some well needed inspiration what to do with them :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you have several different jackets, I recommend cutting them all up! Even if they are in several different colors. I thried to find more than one jacket for this projects but didn´t.. I would have wanted maybe one leather and one suede or one patterned leather jacket to make the surface more intresting. Or if you have all leather jackets, but in different shades like in red and fuchsia. That would have also looked really cool :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm thinking a lot of play clothes for children right now. This idea seems like a great idea for making a costume. Like a scaly dragon or something. Thank you for the inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a gorgeous texture! For some reason it reminds me of the wonderful Bjork.

    ReplyDelete
  6. this looks amazing - great idea!

    Mathilde x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like how you dive into projects and give it your all. This will be an amazing inclusion to your booth and I'm sure will get you a lot of attention. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. IT's looking great so far, can't wait to see the results!

    xxx,
    Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks incredible as is, if you go further, I can only imagine how amazing it'll look ;)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm dieing to see the finished dress! Great inspiration, love the actual dress!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wau, tosi hieno tulee! Pitääpä mennä metsästämään halpoja nahkatakkeja kirppareilta. Mistä tota nahkaliimaa(maitoliimaa) voi ostaa?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Maitoliimaa löytyy melkein kaikista rautakaupoista, Stockmannilta ja askartelukaupoista. Punainen tuubi, jossa valkoisella teksti. Valmistaja CASCO "Textillim, tekstiili ja maitoliima".

    http://www.svanstroms.com/images/items/2255144.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your dress looks great so far! Here's a little something I made earlier (also from a used and hideous jacket), using leather circles as "paillettes" and just sewing them haphazardly: http://sugar-kane.vuodatus.net/blog/1911542

    I'm very into tha "scale" thing right now, I guess I'm going to continue experimenting with leather bits and pieces, AND will definitely try leather glue next time!

    ReplyDelete