Counterfeit crochet & Hackers and Haute Couture!!



Buying fakes and counterfeit fashions is just plain stupid. Terrorists, gangs and organized crime syndicates all profit from selling counterfeit merchandise. The whole isuue just makes me so mad.. But have you heard about "Counterfeit Crochet" or "Hackers and Haute Couture"?? Me neather. I do enjoy irony and humor in crafting and handmade design and that´s why I was delighted to find these photo galleries from Anti-factory Redux´s stream at Flickr. The links lead me to Counterfeit Crochet website which is a crochet collective organized by Stephanie Syjuco, the creator of Anti-Factory. The counterfeit crochet is about taking a designer item and crocheting it yourself to resemble the original as much as possible. You can find a segment from KQED Arts, where Stephanie talks about her project.




"I am fascinated by the laws of supply and demand in terms of piracy, bootlegging, and counterfeiting. The reason knock-offs exist is because people genuinely want them, or at least, are willing to settle for approximations of the real thing. And even the knock-offs can sell for exhorbitant amounts! You could also say that each person who crochets a designer bag is essentially making an "original" bag--using their own expertise, decision-making, and tenacity, they are interpreting and creating a new, unique item." says Stephanie. "The media machine pushes onto the public the desire for luxury goods. But at the same time, most of us "ordinary people" can't afford such things, and some even knowingly buy knock-off products to sublimate our desires. If you take the logic one step further, and actually make the item yourself, you are in a sense taking the situation into your own hands without giving a single penny to the company brand. They have excluded you anyway, by keeping their prices astronomically high."

I love the way she thinks!! I feel this project is a perfect statement to support DIY and anti-piracy organizations. Too bad I cannot crochet. Should I sew my own designer bag trashionista-style, from recycled materials? Absolutely. I mean I am a nerd deep down so why shouldn´t I be a fashion-hacker.


Outi Les Pyy

Phasellus facilisis convallis metus, ut imperdiet augue auctor nec. Duis at velit id augue lobortis porta. Sed varius, enim accumsan aliquam tincidunt, tortor urna vulputate quam, eget finibus urna est in augue.

2 comments:

  1. What an amazing idea, and a great attitude! Brilliant! Hmmmm...must learn to crochet.... I can knit though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This reminds me of Slow and Steady Wins The Race's collection of designer handbags made in muslin, which she's been selling for a couple of years now...

    ReplyDelete