Size 14 bodycon

Mark Fast Summer 2010 1

This post is not so much about trashion but 100% inspiration. Mark Fast shook the fashion world this month by hiring plus sized models to wear his new SS10 collection. About time. While the "normal" model is a size zero, these girls are a healthy 12/14 which btw is still way under the national average in many western countries. According to Amanda May, Fast's managing director, his show stylist QUIT over the designer's insistence on including three models from a plus agency on the runway amongst regular girls. What an amateur. Anyone who knows something about pattern making knows that it takes way more skill to make a pattern or style a normal sized curvy busty chick than an anorectic twig. Designers that use plus sized models in fittings and shows understand their final customers better. Also I´m happy to finally see how these show looks really look like on normally shaped people straight on the runway... Smoking hot. Makes me want them even more as I know they will also fit me if I buy that look. Some have argued that this is just a publicity stunt from Mr. Fast. but I don´t buy it. He has just realized that like a smile, confidence makes a pretty good accessorie. Mark Fast, your my hero.

One question remains. As Anna Wintour prides on being one of the first editor to feature african american models on the cover of fashions leading magazine, in this case Vogue. I just wonder how many years will still go by until we´ll see a normal (plus)sized woman in the cover. Maybe Elle will win this round..

Move over zero-skinny bitches, real is the new black.

*EDIT* News! French Parliament member, Valerie Boyer is also concerned about the negative effects of enhanced media images of women's bodies. She and 50 other legislators have proposed adding warning labels to magazine ads and other images to state if the image has been processed (just like on cigarette packages and ads have warnings about health effects). The text, which Boyer believes should apply to everything from press photos to advertisements and product packaging to art photos, would read, "Photograph retouched to modify the physical appearance of a person." As much as I loath excess usage of warning signs, I like this. Adults working for fashion and adversising know the truth about image processing, but the teens don´t. They see it as reality and it has a negative effect to their self image and distords their concept of "normality" and "natural beauty". Via Counterfeitchic.

Mark Fast Summer 2010 8

MARK FAST SS10 BEADWORK:

Mark Fast Summer 2010 7
Mark Fast Summer 2010 3

AND CIRCLE FABRIC 3D DETAILING:

Mark Fast Summer 2010 2
Mark Fast Summer 2010 4
Mark Fast Summer 2010 6
Mark Fast Summer 2010 5

Photos via Style.com.

Outi Les Pyy

Phasellus facilisis convallis metus, ut imperdiet augue auctor nec. Duis at velit id augue lobortis porta. Sed varius, enim accumsan aliquam tincidunt, tortor urna vulputate quam, eget finibus urna est in augue.

20 comments:

  1. Wow, those girls look gorgeous! I've never really understood why fashion designers insist on using so thin models. I sort of understand, that they like the models to be the same size, since it would probably be alot of work to customize every single piece of clothe. But I don't really get why the models have got to be so tall and so thin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually.. For all runway shows each collection piece is fitted and crafted to fit the model perfectly. It´s only a matter of the original piece being made to size 12 instead of size 0.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh really? I was always told, when I tried to question models' sizes, that they all have to be the same size, so that they can model for all designers and all clothes. Although I've also often been told, that clothes just look the best on tall and skinny people, and that's certainly been proven wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The "same size" is zero :) Some girls have more bust or bum than others so even though all models are roughly the same clothing size small adjustments have to be made always to make the garment fit perfectly. As far as I know the pieces coming up for sale later on are never 100% copies of the runway pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a big step for all the mankind...
    and they look awesome

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay I've been ready your blog for quite a while but this time I had to comment because i love this post...

    I am a makeup artist/hairdresser (and a size 10) and I work in the fashion industry...i see size 0's all the time. I hope someone continues this trend...

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is sooo cool!! It's about time! They don't even look 'large'. Just normal! They look fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. where are the plus size models?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Melissa, exactly.. I went through the images at first looking for "large" girls and could not find them. :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. I find it interesting that the designs actually look a lot better and sexier on plus size models than the size zero ones.:) The plus size models look like they have more confidence and 'oomph' while the skinnier girls just look boring...I think we should have all sizes on runways, it would be way more inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is cool, and sure they're not large but they are definitely plus-sized in the model world, and don't they look fantastic!! If you want to check out my blog, awhimofmine.blogspot.com, I'm covering New Zealand Fashion Week starting today and there should be some designers you might not have heard of!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree with Laurah Kirjoitti !
    the designs look so much more sexy and seem to have made more of a visual impact on me, before i realised that they were on 'plus' size models ! now i know the girls arn't size zero i love them even more, thats how it would look if I, myself, wore the dress, rather than feeling disapointed that my generous body had distorted the design. Mark Fast is a very smart man. He is winning over all sorts of ladies previously alienated by runway fashion.

    ReplyDelete
  13. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/10/10/AR2005101001633.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. That was about time! I'm happy a designer dared to shock the fashion world. But look at them, they're hot. Especially the one on top.

    ReplyDelete
  15. those girls are stunning, I applud his work, amazing and visually stunning

    ReplyDelete
  16. Haha, yes, if you didn't mention it, I would never think that they were "plus size"! I'd just enjoy the clothes on them without giving it a second thought. They have perfect figures!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I remembered the word I was looking for: unlike the zero sized models, they're well-proportioned!

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are plus-sized models?! I can see ribs on that last one.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Little Brown Sparrow, the first TWO outfits are plus size.

    ReplyDelete
  20. The first two girls look gorgeous! I would have never ever guessed that they are labeled plus-size. That puts the rest of the models in perspective... they must be tiny weeny.
    It's a great idea to show, that those designer clothes can look great on normal bodies as well. And shouldn't that be the point anyway? To make anyone who's waering the clothes feel beautiful and gorgeous, not just the super-skinny professional coathangers that are called models?

    ReplyDelete