Overpainted

Julia Nobis by Michael Schwartz for Exit

Cable knit allover painted black. 100% Wool does not paint so well (too fluffy fibers) but cotton does or cotton wool mixes. Fill the knit with plastic bag covered pillows or other clothes to have it standing 3D or on a dummy (sleeves too). Apply several thin layers (dilute it with water) of fabric paint with a narrow wall roller brush. If black isn´t your fav, sure you can use other colors as well like.. ...gray or red? A knit like this works well styled with below knee cut mens suit trousers, biker boots and long leather gloves.

Photo: Julia Nobis by Michael Schwartz for Exit.
Via Fashion Gone Rogue.

Outi Les Pyy

Phasellus facilisis convallis metus, ut imperdiet augue auctor nec. Duis at velit id augue lobortis porta. Sed varius, enim accumsan aliquam tincidunt, tortor urna vulputate quam, eget finibus urna est in augue.

6 comments:

  1. What about spray paint? That would give it an airbrushed look which might be cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I considered spraypaints but they are not a permanent treatment. The also don´t work so well with knit, too much fibre. With t-shirts yes, but again, it´s not permanent is the garment is waterwashed. I have tried :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm...I used to spray paint tshirts and the paint never washed out, but I may have been using a not so eco-friendly option. It was so long ago, I don't remember.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The spraypints that I had were regular craft shop paints, so they were propably not the most durable ones. Maybe spraypaints will stay on better on clothes if one uses industrial/professional brands.

    And as far as I know none of the spraypaints are good for the environment.. That is why I don´t use them that often.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, it was professional/industrial stuff. I probably shouldn't go there again since it isn't eco-friendly. Gosh, I probably shouldn't have even recommended it. BTW, I see that you are going to have DIY fashion book published. CONGRATS.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been looking at these metallic painted sweaters from Whistles and Zara but this is much more rugged - I like. Thanks for recommending a non-spray paint method.

    ReplyDelete