Harem pants: the rise of the low crotch

harem pant PixieMarket 1

I´m going to post about harem pants until you start to like them... :D To be clear, I´m not trying to force belly dancing wear into your everyday wardrobes but concentrate more on the more fashionable version on harem pants, the low-crotch tapered leg pant. I myself have three pairs, one made from different fabrics (patchwork) and two made from track sweatpant jersey. They are all so mega confortable to wear and by looking at fashion blogs and online shops I see no trouble pairing the low-crotch sweatpant with some killer heels and a blazer jacket. Also the floral (not to be confused with the ugly 80's GYM pant..) and tribal patterned harems are looking pretty chic, now that spring arrives. For more inspiration photos on harem pants, check out my Flickr blog photo gallery.

harem pant Asos floral 1
harem pant tribal PixieMarket 1

Low-crotch is not a new thing, but if you ask me I´d have to categorize it as one of the top 5 in 00´s pant styles. It looks super cool casual, especially on guys. The pattern is also quite simple to make, and I´ve wanted to make myself a pair from secondhand band t-shirts for a while now.. Pray that my dreadful move will be all over soon and I´ll make you a pattern and tutorial from this. Would you like that?!

harem pant Asos sweat
harem pant 11
harem pant 5
Harmon army fisherman pants 3
harem pant Asos sweat 3
harem pant Childhood Flames
harem pant 8

harem pant 10
harem pant Zara sweat
harem pant 6

Outi Les Pyy

Phasellus facilisis convallis metus, ut imperdiet augue auctor nec. Duis at velit id augue lobortis porta. Sed varius, enim accumsan aliquam tincidunt, tortor urna vulputate quam, eget finibus urna est in augue.

21 comments:

  1. I think this is such a hard look to pull off. A lot of them just look to me like someone is wearing a sweater on their legs. Although I do love those high waisted foral ones. I maybe tempted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So funny you just did this post because I just did an outfit post on my blog wearing electric blue Harem sweat pants...Check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The last pair looks like a longjohn top worn as bottoms. I LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. the whole look is sloppy, whether it's done in jersey or silk. they remind me of the onesies with the butt flap, except that the person sporting them didn't have time to, ahem, evacuate. probably the hipster equivalent to pants around your ass cheeks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jen, I believe we´re allowed to look just a little "sloppy" if one can wear high heels all day with these. I love fashion, but sometimes the comfort-factor does rise before the sexy-fashinability. Besides, most women I know don´t even want to look "sexy" all time... I don´t :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Harem pants do not flatter the wearer and are a classic fashion horror/ faux pas that in years to come we will think WHY?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don´t want to look sexy all the time either but normal pants are confortable enough for me. If this is about confort... why wear them with heels?

    I have never seen a pair I liked, burn them all I say :p And I agree that people will indeed ask WHY" when they look at their own pictures 10 years from now, as it was said here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. To me they just look funny. Some people can pull them off though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm warming up to them. But I don't think it's a good look for someone who carries excess weight in her thighs and butt, or someone with short legs. Or men. Definitely not hot on men. But I like the outfits you posted.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just got a pair of G-Star organic cotton jeans with the crotch somewhere near my knees. Love them. The only drawback is walking up or down stairs; but then again, no more difficult than in a pair of Westwood bondage trousers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. not a big fan of harem pants, but some people do look good in them

    come follow the first ever fashion blog from a guys POV, let He know what you think

    fashionbyhe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you Timo for the support! :D If fashion professionals agree with me that harem pants are a.o.k. then I´m sticking to my guns.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Meh, I think they look good but it depends on the person. They're definately not for me though.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've just got my mum to post out my pair of jersey harem pants that I left at home because I can't deny they are super comfortable. I never know how to wear them though, this post will be useful for outfit inspirations...

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love these, but can they work with wide hips? And yes, please, give us a tutorial. BTW, when is your book coming out and will you sell an English version?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Everything works if YOU like it. :) I myself are a full figured gal (waist 32") so many would propably say I shouldn´t wear harem pants as "they make you look fat!". Well they can kiss my.. Wear them if you like them!

    My book launch has been delayed because of my move. I´m hoping to get it out sometime late March or early April. And it will be done both in Finnish and English texts (in the same book).

    ReplyDelete
  17. OH yes a tutorial would be superb. I's love to make a pair myself.

    ReplyDelete
  18. love these looks! Check out my blog crunchysnowcouture.blospot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love Harem pants! Reconstructed one from thrifted pants myself. here: http://mscrafty.livejournal.com/50905.html

    ReplyDelete