Fresh water fashions

gisele water fashion

What is the most important resource we have on this planet? Fresh water. We just cannot survive with out it. Fashion industry is very dependent on this valuable recource as water is being used in pretty much all phases in garment production from growing cotton or production of syntethic fibres, spin the yarn, dye, print and other treatments and even transport the goods. Making one pair of jeans takes an average 1893 litres of water. Sound a lot doesn´t it?! Well making one hamburger takes 2385 litres of water... This is why sustainability is so important also in fashion as it is in food production. Sustainable fashion labels take water consumption in concideration when planning production (among material, power, chemical and labour use). Upcoming and current fashion designers face this challenge as about 80% of the production phases are determined while designing the product and being sustainable has never meant compromising on style or quality. And it does not stop there. We as consumers are also responsible of the wear and (ecological) care of our fashions and how they are recycled after we´re done with them. As far as I see it I think garments and accessories (plus food and other commodities) should be marked with their "water footprint" the same way cars have carbon emissions marked on their info charts. For more on sustainable fashion production I recommended reading Sustainable Fashion & Textiles - Design Journeys by Leonora Oppenheim.

Btw. Do you know how many litres you use every day by just taking a shower? You can count it by placing a litre/gallon jar under your shower an measuring the time it takes to fill it up. Devide your average showering time spent with this. My husband tested it after I had begd him to do it for over a year.. His showering time dropped from 35 min to 10 minutes after he did the math.

So sorry to screw up your Sathurday with some hard fact folks! I just think the best accessorie a (wo)man can have is an aware and curious yet responsible mind topped with a smile :)

Photos: Gisele Bundchen makes a splash wearing nothing but a dripping water dress. The 26-year-old Brazilian supermodel has unveiled a revealing new ad campaign that shows her in a see-through liquid dress. The former Victoria's Secret model stripped down to promote her own line of eco-friendly sandals called Ipanema Gisele Bundchen.

gisele water fashion 2

Outi Les Pyy

Phasellus facilisis convallis metus, ut imperdiet augue auctor nec. Duis at velit id augue lobortis porta. Sed varius, enim accumsan aliquam tincidunt, tortor urna vulputate quam, eget finibus urna est in augue.

4 comments:

  1. I'd like to see water footprint tags too, or just eco footprints in general. So many people claim to be green, yet they don't think about what they buy. My friend is a great example, she loves being environmental but ask her to spend one cent more than you need to, and she puts all ethics aside. I'm pretty sure if polar bear meat was cheaper than chicken she'd find an excuse to buy it!

    Seriously though- 35 minutes?! I feel bad for my 10 minutes, though here in Australia it's considered bad manners to shower longer than 4 minutes. I chose to halve the amount of meat in my diet so I could shower as long as I want!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know.. 35 minutes is just insane. Finland is cold country most of the year so many of my friend whom I´ve talked about this say that a long hot shower is the only thing that wakes them up in the morning and makes them feel warmer. I use woollen socks and thick cardigans if I feel cold. Compared to the americans we have relatively small bathrooms (most have either a shower or bath) and apartmets don´t always have their own saunas to warm yourself in, but still I think the waste of warm drinkable water is too much. But I keep talking about it to all of my friends (and that they should switch to Ecover when washing clothes) and hope someone will listen. :)

    On the other hand, if you live in a warmer climate you might not want to shower to keep warm, but watering your garden all year round and having a pool to me feel as wastefull as taking long showers.

    But in general I feel that it is a public obligation these days to be aware of enviromental issues and how you can influence them as a consumer. If one does not care about these things, I don´t think I want to know them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I tell people that I´m a vegetarian, most immediately presume that it has something to do with animal rights.. Of course it is a part of that but mostly it is because industrial meat production is just so wastefull. I read somewhere that 40% of the wheat and corn grown in the world goes to be fed to animals in the meat industry. 40%!! If people would cut down at least half of the amount of meat they eat, it would propably solve the food-crisis in the world because so much land would be available to grow food for people instead of feeding hamburger cows.

    Of course it would also raise the price of leather as it is a byproduct of meat industry. Less meat cows, less leather for fashion industry, hence higher prices. It´s all connected...

    ReplyDelete
  4. you make a good point about the meat (cow) industry

    I live in a small town in Atlantic Canada and people here are pretty wasteful, you think it would be different as my provence is the poorest and since we are a island, foodstuffs are very expensive.

    I try to buy local, I grow my own food, use resuable bags, recycle and upcycle, and I don't eat store bought meat.

    we hunt moose, and one moose can feed a family of four for a year, my aunt raises chickens and we fish.

    ReplyDelete