Raquel Allegra started it


When Raquel Allegra made her first shredded t-shirt collection for Summer 2009 I´m sure she did not anticipate the reaction. Since then numerous fashion bloggers have imitated the style and technique of unravelling soft, secondhand t-shirts to sheer fashion pieces and some smaller labels have even made them a part of their collection, like Obesity And Speed. I have found references from 90´s craft magazines of this shredding technique used, but it did not make it to catwalks then. Raquel took a green approeach to this technique and used old tees from LA County jail and I for example use old German army tees. I use her collections and other street style photographs with shredded tees as inspiration. The base t-shirt can be just one color OR it can be tie dyed, dip dyed or ombre colored before the unravelling. The color shift brings out beautiful, fluent shapes when undone. I used this to unravel striped Marimekko tees to make their backs less of a Finnish fashion classic and more Dalilike.

Today I will be hosting a trashion workshop in Helsinki for eco fashion shop Paloni (kl 18 - 20.30). Participation fee 30€ includes an army secondhand T-shirt colored black and me showing you how to shredd it + great company and servings. For booking, mail info@paloni.fi!

Here is some inspiration for tonight!
































Outi Les Pyy

Phasellus facilisis convallis metus, ut imperdiet augue auctor nec. Duis at velit id augue lobortis porta. Sed varius, enim accumsan aliquam tincidunt, tortor urna vulputate quam, eget finibus urna est in augue.

2 comments:

  1. I adore the aesthetic of these shredded shirts, but honestly, I don't think I have the patience to sit & shred a shirt. I tried it once and it took so long to do 1/2 a shirt I just gave up!

    ReplyDelete