OutsaPop Trashion book inspiration - Drapes vs. Squares

Trashion High Johnny

Here´s the first sneak preview from my upcoming trashion clothing customizing book made with Books On Demand selfpublishing webservice - the book THEMEBOARDS. You´ll be able to follow the entire book making process as I will document it here on my blog. When ever designing a collection, make the theme or inspiration boards first. They will keep you focused on the essential and help finding suitable materials and colors, basically the entire creation process. I started from 300 ideaphotos scattered all over my living room floor and ended up with these after a few evenings. It was really hard to give up on so many cool ideas, but you can not and should not try to get everything in your collection.

You have to consider the following:
- product mix (will this top go together with all the bottoms..)
- will I have time to do all the pieces I want
- is this something my pattern making skills are good enough
- are the designs suitable for your materials (price and availability)

I tried to concentrate on designs that would suit several bodytypes and that the materials needed would be inexpencive and easy to find from thrift stores. Also some ideas were taken out because they did not fit with the overall theme and that they might be too difficult or expensive for the readers to make even though I´d have the ability to make them.

The inspiration and styling theme is from the movie Cry Baby and the whole "Drapes vs. Squares" 50´s high school atmosphere. So you´re in for secondhand denim, plaid shirts, leather, studs, chains and adorable nerdy mens suits transformed to look modern again. All the materials used for these DIY projects will be secondhand and recycled. The next phase is to start testing materials and making patterns and prototypes for all tutorials. This book will be a DIY tribute to all you Rockabilly Johnnys and Bettys out there!

Trashion High Pepper
Trashion High Betty

Outi Les Pyy

Phasellus facilisis convallis metus, ut imperdiet augue auctor nec. Duis at velit id augue lobortis porta. Sed varius, enim accumsan aliquam tincidunt, tortor urna vulputate quam, eget finibus urna est in augue.

7 comments:

  1. You're making a book??! How exciting! I'll definately buy it when it comes out. And love love LOVE Johnny Depp in Cry Baby. Uuurg, these pictures are all too good. So inspiring

    <3<3<3

    ReplyDelete
  2. i cannot wait!! i'm already intrigued by these inspiration boards....also thanks for the tip on where to start with design ideas. i know it's a no brainer but i guess it really does work. i have so many ideas, inspirations, pictures, etc that i have no idea where to start. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary B. I know.. It was really hard to give up on so many cool ideas, but you can not and should not try to get everything in your collection.

    You have to consider the following:
    - product mix (will this top go together with all the bottoms..)
    - will I have time to do all the pieces I want
    - is this something my pattern making skills are good enough
    - are the designs suitable for your materials (price and availability)

    I tried to concentrate on designs that would suit several bodytypes and that the materials needed would be inexpencive and easy to find from thrift stores. Also some ideas were taken out because they did not fit with the overall theme and that they might be too difficult or expensive for the readers to make even though I´d have the ability to make them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loistavaa! En voi kuin odottaa että kirjasi myötä uskaltaudun tuunauksen maailmaan :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow!! Mä niin haluan tän kirjan : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ihan mahtavaa, että teet kirjan! Moodboardit näyttää hyvältä, samoin postaus ekasta hiharakenteesta. Maltan tuskin odottaa!!! Millon kirjan pitäisi ilmestyä?

    When is the approximated release date for the book?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks :) After making preliminary layout plans I have to admit I´ll be happy to have the layout done sometime in February. Not because the BoD-software is difficult to use (it´s really easy) but I´m planning to make the book 75-100 pages long... It will take some time to draw all the tutorial images and write the instructions in two languages.. + the layout work. But I want the book to be the best I can do so I´m prepared to take time to make it. I´ll write about the project as it proceeds so you´ll know where I´m going with it.

    ReplyDelete