Maybe she´s born with it...

Photoshop fashion

I love and hate Photoshop. It is a wonderful program that has spawned a new form of digital art, but at the same time fashion industry and marketing people are abusing it to the max. It has profoundly effected women's self esteem and the way we perceive beauty. And there is a direct link of how happy/stressed we feel. Personally I love "laughing wrinkles" around eyes and hips, tummy and bum that are there and teeth that are not pearly white. I love original things.

The thing that disturbs me the most is fashion bloggers who use too much photoshopping in their own pics. I mean I´m nobody to tell them what to do with their own faces and curves and of course the colors/light needs to be perfect (I use readymade photo effects myself) but I just ask you to be careful. Young girls read your blogs and see them as reality opposite to glossy magazines. If you make yourself intentionally thinner, curvier or younger looking it will send the wrong message in my mind. I mean just think about it. Fashion blogs are supposed to be reality, they begun with people showing how fashion works on the streets and real everyday life. As storytellers and writers I feel we do have the same responsibilities in what we put out there as regular journalists.

How much do you Photoshop pictures of yourself?



Top photo via Fashion Photography blog.

Outi Les Pyy

Phasellus facilisis convallis metus, ut imperdiet augue auctor nec. Duis at velit id augue lobortis porta. Sed varius, enim accumsan aliquam tincidunt, tortor urna vulputate quam, eget finibus urna est in augue.

6 comments:

  1. OMG that video is so funny. I haven't noticed bloggers using Fs but I'm not surprised. I sometimes wonder if I should use it if I have a spot or something but for me it's not that serious, I want people to see how I am, and I can't afford Fs. I use a not-so-great retoucher I already have if some armpit hair that people don't need to be seeing but that's it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do use Photoshop, but mainly in restoration work. And yes, it's SO obvious when bloggers use Photoshop (or the other free ones out there) and it's getting annoying because I can't see what they are trying to picture the way it really looks (and this goes for some of the filters too)! It's become like Power Point in the olden days when everyone used the crazy transitions because they could. I can see fixing obvious things - exposure, etc... but the bluer than blue eyes, the blindingly white teeth - UGH. This video (which I love) really isn't a spoof but a great commercial for Photoshop - every young girl and teenage girl should see it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting this, I linked it on my FaceBook, and I'll blog it in a couple days. The quote that really saddens me is "You don't have to rely on a healthy body-image or self respect, anymore!" Personally, I don't retouch any of my photos (aside from adjusting some settings within my camera). It's more trouble than it's worth. I'd rather just feel good in what I'm wearing and let that shine through.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE this! I only adjust colour saturation, contrast and brightness. Just superficial stuff. I don't know how to actually change the shape of things in the image but I wouldn't really want to anyway!
    Great awareness campaign. Sometimes magazine photos make me feel bad about myself but seeing the before and after shots makes me realise that to look like a model in a magazine is impossible - even for the actual model!!

    www.flossyblossom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I use Photoshop everyday as part of my job so it seems natural to me to extend it to my blog. I draw the line however at distorting body shape.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Frightening video. So sad how far we have gone 'off track'.

    ReplyDelete