Zipper collar for Susie



I feel like a million bucks right now. StyleBubble aka Susanna Lau, my favorite fashion blogger posted about my zipper collars! The next one I make will be hers. I got the zippers today and it will take about a week for me to get this done. I cannot take full credit for the original design since Comme Des Garçons (SS05 collection) was the first designer behind this kind of zipper-use. Since so many have wondered how these collars are done, I decided to take pictures of all the making-of steps and post them to My Flickr site, Cut Out and Keep craft tutorials and of course here to my blog. I hope they are of some help to you in case you want to make one for yourself.



The collar is made from 12 jacket zippers (70-80 cm long). First they will be taken apart and then pinned on to a dummy to get the organic form. After taken off the dummy the whole thing has to be sewn together by hand. I tried to use a sewing machine, but the shape did not come out as fluent as I wanted. Handsewing it is.

When finished, the collar can be used as a necklace or attached to dresses.



Links to my zipper-posts:
Zipper collar inspiration
My first zipper collar
Zipper collar with my crochet gala dress
The second zipper collar I made for a friend

My work is originally meant to inspire others to start crafting and creating things for them selves, so if someone sees my work and copies it, I´m just happy. But, with this technique it´s a bit difficult to make the collalrs exactly alike... That´s the beauty in crafting and DIY. 100% copying is impossible :)

Outi Les Pyy

Phasellus facilisis convallis metus, ut imperdiet augue auctor nec. Duis at velit id augue lobortis porta. Sed varius, enim accumsan aliquam tincidunt, tortor urna vulputate quam, eget finibus urna est in augue.

5 comments:

  1. do you sell these?

    ReplyDelete
  2. At the moment I do only custom work. If you want me to make you one, contact me through Etsy Alchemy. My Etsy shop/seller name is Round2.etsy.com.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, these are a dream come true for me. i'm not a famous fashion blogger like susie, but i want one more than anything, and sadly i can't sew. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete