DIY trend - leather paillettes

Phosphene DIY leather paillettes top 1

I´ve seen black leather sequinned clothes online in so many places in the last fall and winter, that I supposed it can officially be called a DIY micro trend that will become a classic. I´d choose an ugly but  soft secondhand 80´s leather jacket to cut up for material. they usually cost less and have more material than newer jackets. It takes a bit of time to cut the leather discs/paillettes, and sew them on, but it is worth the trouble. You can also use leather glue as I did on my leather scale dress. Photos via phosphene fashion.

Phosphene DIY leather paillettes top 4
Phosphene DIY leather paillettes top 3

Outi Les Pyy

Phasellus facilisis convallis metus, ut imperdiet augue auctor nec. Duis at velit id augue lobortis porta. Sed varius, enim accumsan aliquam tincidunt, tortor urna vulputate quam, eget finibus urna est in augue.

11 comments:

  1. Timeless style! You should also check out Yves St Laurent's 1980s sequined suede wrap skirt at ShopCurious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. we have a local garbage recycle store that actually sells these already cut - must be old leather samples or something. def a great DIY!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wowww that is such a great idea :) Thanks... I wish I could get the leather pieces ready to buy somewhere :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. nineteenzerosix23 April 2010 at 12:49

    Wow!!! I absolutely love this diy!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastico! I love your creativity girl! ;0)

    Have a great weekend!

    Hugs from
    A Shopaholic is loose...

    ReplyDelete
  6. ok, not sure if my last post went through - but I made a leather pailette necklace this winter, and totally thought of you. here's the link if you want to see it:

    http://pacificrain.blogspot.com/2010/03/new-necklace-this-one-is-made-of-some.html

    my only question is, I had to look really hard to find a punch that was 3/4" in diameter. It would be really hard to find something as large as the size of these pailettes, but I really like the look of this top and would love to do something similar! It seems like it would be difficult to cut all of the pailettes the same size without having some kind of guide. Any ideas about this?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Why do the paillettes have to be the same size or perfectly round?!! :) I cut all of them by hand to my dress and they are more arch shaped. When you layer them onto the garment and the sequinned surface is finished, I guarantee nobody will comment of the "roundness" of the paillettes, but more how gorgeous your project is! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG I AM SO AMAZED!!!!!!! ABSOLUTELY STUNNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh, it doesn't have to be - it's just my aesthetic preference at the moment! I like the round ones because they remind me more of fish scales; the different sizes remind me more of feathers. And I'm feeling more like "fish scales" these days =) I should send you a picture of the actual feathered bodice I made like 8 years ago - all by hand! I made it just for fun/on a whim, but for some reason everyone seems to react to it as if it is a very kinky object, so I've never worn it...

    ReplyDelete
  10. çokkkkkk güzellll teşekkürlerr sevgilerr:))♥*•♪•

    ReplyDelete