Alessandro Dell´acqua summer fringes

ALESSANDRO DELL´ACQUA SS2009  Fringed skirt5

Found this Alessandro Dell´acqua SS2009 fringed dress and skirt on FarFetch. The dress is made by covering the front with asymmetrically placed long regular fringes, leather fringes and beaded ribbons. Definately DIYable! The regular fringes you get from your local button shop and the leather I´d cut from secondhand leather or suede jackets and cut up to fringes. Beaded ribbons are usually pretty expencive so I would not go out and buy them unless you absolutely feel you need them. First I´d find the base dress, then the secondhand leather and finally fringes + dye in matching colors. Keeping the color harmony is essential for a clean design and look. Most basic fringes are viscose and can be colored any color you want in a washing machine. I did not believe it until I tried and it worked out beautifully. This technique does not have to cover the entire garment and of course it can be do also to tops or shirts! More photos in my Blog Photos set at Flickr.

ALESSANDRO DELL´ACQUA SS2009  Fringed skirt4
ALESSANDRO DELL´ACQUA SS2009  Fringed dress 4
ALESSANDRO DELL´ACQUA SS2009  Fringed dress 3

Photos via FarFetch.

Outi Les Pyy

Phasellus facilisis convallis metus, ut imperdiet augue auctor nec. Duis at velit id augue lobortis porta. Sed varius, enim accumsan aliquam tincidunt, tortor urna vulputate quam, eget finibus urna est in augue.

6 comments:

  1. And some marabou feathers in the hem?

    Outi, have you ever dyed feathers? Protein fibers, I guess, so most dyes should work, but how to handle the delicate material while dyeing process...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can make beaded fringes yourself: just get (or make) a bead spinner first, so you don't spend too much time on selecting beads. Add a needle (the longer and thinner the better), some fireline or other knottable and durable thread, seed beads and a thread burner (candle may do).

    ReplyDelete
  3. To me the hem looks like ostrich feathers or ostrich down. I´ve never dyed featers as I think they´ll be ruined when dipped in water or sprayed. I found a few articles on it though. "Acid dye" sound like something I would not try at home...

    eHow:
    http://www.ehow.com/how_2105087_dye-feathers.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do have to say that feathers, especially down is not something I recommend using for any crafts. As far as I know no craft supply label provids sustainability certified (EDFA) feathers and down even though the certificate is used for pillows and down-clothes manufacturing.

    As long as I cannot be sure the birds grown to make the feathers-ribbons are treated humainly I´d rather not use any feathers in my projects.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This brings me back to my childhood days, when I was all into the romantic idea of Native Americans...

    ReplyDelete
  6. In acid dyes the acid can be quite usual stuff, like citric acid or vinegar. For example those Kool Aid juice powders (familiar from home yarn dyeing) act like acid dyes - actually food coloring + citric acid recipe works in general.

    I avoid buying new products with feathers, too, but with secondhand items I'm quite OK.

    ReplyDelete