Trashion prom dress



One mans trash is indeed another womans treasure. Have a look at the photo above and tell me what do you think it´s made of.... It´s coffee filters! Yeah. Me neither. I thought it was onion colored bed sheets or something similar as I found this picture from Ethnical Style blog. 18 year ols Missouri high school senior Aimee Kick designed and made her prom dress out of unbleached paper coffee filters. She hand sewded them onto a fabric dress base. The dress took about a month to complete and I think it turned out gorgeous. Aimee isn´t the only one I´ve seen using recycled coffee panniers. Angela Bright made this award winning showstopper coffee filter / teabag dress back in 2007. If I remember correctly it took her months to make..

I think all beginning trashionistas should make a project like this quite early on as it really makes you think about the production of clothes, a lot. After working on something for so long you develop an emotional connection to your project and you value it much more than something storebought. This is why I think people should make more fashion themselves as one would therefore value their fashions more, take better care of their clothes and wardrobes and wear them with genuine pride!



Outi Les Pyy

Phasellus facilisis convallis metus, ut imperdiet augue auctor nec. Duis at velit id augue lobortis porta. Sed varius, enim accumsan aliquam tincidunt, tortor urna vulputate quam, eget finibus urna est in augue.

1 comment:

  1. Greetings from the States! This coffee dress is so creative...I LOVE your blog, can't wait to read more - cheers!

    Sincerely,
    Jaime @ "It's A Jaime Thing"
    www.itsajaimething.com

    ReplyDelete